[bioontology-support] Filtering minor terms on Bioportal Annotator REST API

Pieter Sheth-Voss pieter at provenanalytics.com
Wed Jul 3 10:20:04 PDT 2013

In using the Bioportal Annotator REST API, it often returns matches for
relatively minor terms like "And" and "With".

For instance, consider "headache with dizziness and fever" against just the
SNOMEDCT ontology.

In the annotator web client, it matches only "Headache", "Dizziness" and
"Fever".  Which for our immediate purpose is ideal.

However, the REST API returns many more matches (attached), e.g.:

   - "*With*"
      - fullId: http://purl.bioontology.org/ontology/SNOMEDCT/421463005
      - synonyms: "With - dosing instruction fragment", ...
      - semanticType: "T170" ("Intellectual Product")
   - "*With*"
      - fullId: http://purl.bioontology.org/ontology/SNOMEDCT/20401003
      - synonyms: "In addition to", ...
      - semanticType: "T080" ("Qualitative Concept")
   - "*And*"
   - fullId: http://purl.bioontology.org/ontology/SNOMEDCT/421829000
      - synonyms: "And - dosing instruction fragment", ...
      - semanticType: "T170" ("Intellectual Product")

How does the web service filter these words out?

If for expedient, we filter out T080 and T710, would we be missing other
arguably more important Intellectual Products or Qualitative Concepts?

Thanks!