[bioontology-support] Some questions about your 244 bioportal datasets

manuelso manuelso at stanford.edu
Thu Jul 4 20:38:53 PDT 2013

On Jul 3, 2013, at 1:57 PM, Timothy Lebo <lebot at rpi.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My name is Tim Lebo and I'm conducting a survey about Linked Data datasets on datahub.io.
> I'm contacting you because you are listed as an author or maintainer of the dataset http://datahub.io/dataset/bioportal-*.
>
> Could you please take a few moments to answer the following 12 questions?
> For your convenience, you can just reply directly to this email.
>
> I'm planning to release the survey results with a CC Zero license [1] at [2].
> I won't include your email, and I'll associate your responses to the dataset (not you).
> If this raises concerns for you, please let me know.
>
> Thanks so much for your consideration.
>
> Regards,
> Tim Lebo
>
> [1] http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/
> [2] https://github.com/timrdf/lodcloud/wiki/Survey-1-2013-Jun-22
>
> p.s. I've listed your 244 datasets after the questions, to be certain about which datasets I'm asking about.
>

> 1) Does the tag "lod" on the datasets bioportal-* mean "Linked Open Data"?

yes

> 2) What type of organization produced the datasets bioportal-*?
>   (e.g., academic, commercial, government, personal, etc.) Please list all that apply.

They are third party generated. Mostly government funding academic projects.

> 3) What tools were used to create and publish the datasets bioportal-*?
>   (Please designate any tools that were developed in house and whether or not they are publicly available.)

UMLS2RDF, PROTEGE, OWLAPI

> 4) Did you publish any papers based on the datasets bioportal-*?
>   Please list all pertinent papers.

Using SPARQL to Query BioPortal Ontologies and Metadata

http://iswc2012.semanticweb.org/sites/default/files/76500177.pdf

and

BioPortal as a Dataset of Linked Biomedical Ontologies and ...

http://www.semantic-web-journal.net/sites/default/files/swj278_1.pdf

> 5) Are you aware of any applications that use the datasets bioportal-*?
>   Please list any that you are aware of and how you found out about them.

These projects :

http://bioportal.bioontology.org/projects

> 6) Did you tag the datasets bioportal-* as "lod" to facilitate the inclusion in the LOD Cloud Diagram (http://lod-cloud.net)?

Yes

> 7) Did you try to fulfill the lodcloud group's metadata requirements for the datasets bioportal-*?
>   (http://www.w3.org/wiki/TaskForces/CommunityProjects/LinkingOpenData/DataSets/CKANmetainformation)
>   If so, how difficult was it on a scale from 1 (very easy) to 10 (very difficult)?

No

> 8) Did you use the lodcloud validator (http://validator.lod-cloud.net/validate.php) to help fulfill
>   the lodcloud group's metadata requirements for datasets bioportal-*?
>   If so, how helpful was it on a scale from 1 (not helpful) to 10 (very helpful)?

No

> 9) Is the datasets bioportal-* still being maintained?
>   If it is not, please explain why. (e.g., project funding ended, original objective was achieved, lost interest, etc.)

Yes

> 10) On a scale from 1 (most easy) to 10 (very difficult), how difficult do you think it would be
>    for another expert developer to reproduce the Linked Data in datasets bioportal-*?

N/A

> 11) What factors would make it easy or difficult to reproduce the datasets bioportal-*?
>    (e.g., availability of the original data, provenance available within the Linked Data itself,
>    domain expertise, thoroughness of documentation, or the tools that were used).

N/A

> 12) Would you like to see a new version of the LOD Cloud Diagram (http://lod-cloud.net)?
>    Why or why not?

No. It is not useful.