[bioontology-support] NCBO Annotator Service parameter isVirtualOntologyId not working as expected.

Zach Fry frydawg524 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 21:21:46 PDT 2013

Hello,

I am trying to make a query to a specific version of the Gazetteer Ontology
(47282) using the Annotator Service REST API.
I have set the parameter 'isVirtualOntologyId' to 'false', and then set
parameters 'ontologiesToExpand' and 'ontologiesToKeepInResults' to '47282',
and am expecting to get results.

Now, when I try to annotate the text 'Crystal Lake' with the above
parameters, I get no returned results, and a blank response from a query to
the service.

When I set the 'ontologiesToExpand' and 'ontologiesToKeepInResults' to the
version of the Gazetteer Ontology that is pointed to by its virtual id
(50311), and try to annotate the text 'Crystal Lake', I get a concept
definition for an instance of Crystal Lake.
Likewise, when I set 'isVirtualOntologyId' to 'true', and set
'ontologiesToExpand' and ontologiesToKeepInResults' to '1397'(the virtual
ID for GAZ), then I get the same concept definition for 'Crystal Lake' as
above, which is to be expected.

I want to load concepts from the version 47282, and my diagnosis is that
the Annotator Service is not returning concepts for this version.

Is there a quick fix for this? I am in the middle of writing a paper that
has a deadline relatively soon.

Thanks,
Zach Fry