[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from Olivier Rossel

Ray Fergerson ray.fergerson at stanford.edu
Wed Jul 31 13:08:35 PDT 2013

Olivier,

Let me address the easy questions first. You must first register and
create a bioportal account. You can then submit an ontology from the top
of the "Browse" page. It will show up within a day, automatically. It will
be indexed for search when it shows up in the UI. It will be indexed for
use by the annotator in a few weeks. This is all fairly automatic.

As for content, we are a bit flexible. We accept ontologies that are
either in the biomedical domain and which we feel might be of interest to
someone in biomedicine. Thus we allow generic "top level" ontologies and
we have an ontology of places (GAZ). Neither of these has biomedical
content be we could imagine a biomedical researcher might find them
valuable. On the other end we have recently removed a generic ontology of
books for being off topic. The slope is slippery though and it is
difficult to be crisp. Curation of this sort happens after submission
though.

Ray