[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from Olivier Rossel

Ray Fergerson ray.fergerson at stanford.edu
Wed Jul 31 16:58:08 PDT 2013

Olivier,

Our entire system is available as either a VMware VM or Amazon EC2 instance
and people can and have set it up with content outside of biomedicine. There
is an "earth portal" for example that is based on BioPortal. There is also a
"marine biology portal". We are happy at this point in having outside users
set up non-biomedical ontology portals. We prefer that others not compete
with us, using our own software, in the biomedical space...

BTW, the software is open source under a very non-restrictive license (BSD
2-clause).

If you are interested in exploring this then please send me email off-list
and I will set you up with a VM.

Ray