[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from C.A. Horne

Kevin B. Cohen kevin.cohen at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 17:14:00 PDT 2013

Hi, CA,

I published a study similar in goals to this, regarding the usage of
biomedical text corpora.  You can see how I built my sample and
assessed usage in this paper:

 K. Bretonnel Cohen, Lynne Fox, Philip V. Ogren, and Lawrence Hunter
(2005). Corpus design for biomedical natural language processing.
Proceedings of the ACL-ISMB workshop on linking biological literature,
ontologies and databases, pp. 38-45. Association for Computational
Linguistics.

Kev

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 11:16 PM,  <support at bioontology.org> wrote:

> Name: C.A. Horne
>
> Email: cahorne at mit.edu
>
> Location: http://bioportal.bioontology.org/ontologies/
>
> Comment:
> Hi there,
>
> I am working on a project in which the ontologies I select to annotate must be used by others (in addition to being related to the terms in the text). I was looking at the # of projects that use each ontology to figure out how useful & used the ontology is, but I'm not sure if this number reflects how often the ontologies are actually used. Is it possible that people use the NCBO ontologies without registering the project under that ontology? Is there a better indicator for a particular ontology's usage?
>
> Thank you!

Kevin Bretonnel Cohen, PhD
Biomedical Text Mining Group Lead, Computational Bioscience Program,
U. Colorado School of Medicine
303-916-2417 (cell) 303-377-9194 (home)
http://compbio.ucdenver.edu/Hunter_lab/Cohen