[bioontology-support] Issues bringing up the NCBO Virtual Appliance: mgrep does not start

Stephen Granite sgranite at jhu.edu
Fri Mar 8 05:57:07 PST 2013

In the CVRG, we are interested in bringing up an instance of the NCBO
applicance, to serve as a sandbox for ontologies we develop, to harden them
prior to submission to NCBO.  We downloaded a copy of the version 1.0 OVF
and were able to get the BioPortal web interface to come up without much
effort.  However, in the startup, one service fails to start properly:
mgrep.  mgrep is supposed to start from init.d, but when we execute "service
mgrep status," the response says the service is dead and the subsystem is
locked.  We don't see anything showing up in logs about mgrep.  What would
you advise that we do?  Thanks.

Stephen J. Granite, MS, MBA

Director of Database and Software Development

Center for Cardiovascular Bioinformatics and Modeling

Institute for Computational Medicine

The Johns Hopkins University

3400 North Charles Street

Hackerman Hall 312