[bioontology-support] extracting sub-ontology

Maxwell Neal mneal at u.washington.edu
Sat Mar 9 10:03:45 PST 2013

Hi all,

I have uploaded an ontology to BioPortal that contains axioms from several other ontologies. The individuals referenced in these axioms each have a namespace that corresponds to their original source ontology.  I would like to use the BioPortal web services to programmatically extract these sub-ontologies through a user interface I am developing.  The goal is to search over the individuals in the combined ontology, select an individual of interest, then return the sub-ontology that the individual originally came from.

One way to accomplish this would be to query for all the axioms that refer to some individual with a given namespace.  Is there a way to to do this with the BioPortal REST services, currently?  I haven't been able to figure out how to do that yet.  I suppose an alternative approach might be to specify a set of views over this ontology...?  Would very much like to hear your thoughts on how to accomplish this task.

Many thanks!

Maxwell Neal

Post-doctoral researcher
Department of Bioengineering