[bioontology-support] extracting sub-ontology

Maxwell Neal mneal at u.washington.edu
Tue Mar 12 10:02:59 PDT 2013

Hi all,

I have uploaded an ontology to BioPortal that contains axioms from several other ontologies - I am wondering how best to go about extracting these sub-ontologies using BioPortal web services. My goal is to build a GUI for searching over the individuals in the main ontology, allow the user to select an individual of interest, then return the sub-ontology that the individual originally came from.

One way to accomplish this would be to query for all the axioms that refer to some individual with a given namespace, as each sub-ontology has a unique namespace.  Is there a way to to do this with the BioPortal REST services, currently?   I suppose an alternative approach might involve specifying a set of views over this ontology. I  would very much like to hear your thoughts on how I might accomplish these kinds of extraction tasks.

Many thanks for you time!

Maxwell Neal

Post-doctoral researcher
Department of Bioengineering