[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from Elena Beisswanger

support at bioontology.org support at bioontology.org
Tue Mar 26 07:27:26 PDT 2013

Name: Elena Beisswanger

Email: elena.beisswanger at uni-jena.de

Location: http://bioportal.bioontology.org/

Comment:
Dear BioPortal team,

the 'statistics' box at the BioPortal website (http://bioportal.bioontology.org) mentions 336 ontologies. However, when I use the Rest service http://rest.bioontology.org/bioportal/ontologies?apikey=<my-api-key>, an XML file is returned from which currently 435 different 'ontologyId' values can be extracted. Can you tell me the reason for the difference between these two counts? I noticed that not all ontologies mentioned in the XML file are available for download. First, I thought that maybe the ontologies not available for download are also not counted in the statistics box -e.g., because of access restrictions. However, for example Snomed is one of the ontologies I cannot download, but it is browsable at BioPortal and hence probably one of the 336 mentioned ontologies...

Thanks in advance for clarification!
Kind regards, Elena