[bioontology-support] Bioportal REST API for search: opportunity to optimize speed?

Pieter Sheth-Voss pieter at provenanalytics.com
Wed May 8 11:30:31 PDT 2013

Hi Bioportal Support  --

The Bioportal REST API for search seems great.  I'd like to use it to
support autosuggest within a free text area for general patient case
descriptions.

I ran a test with a number of terms requesting JSON against SNOMEDCT +
RXNORM + LOINC against the Bioportal server that you host.

The result quality is fine, returning good matches, and usually a good
first choice.

Now it's just getting response times fast enough to make a natural
interface.

The response times are often great, under 200 ms.  But are also often very
slow, one second or longer.  Typically, this is is when there are more than
100 results.

For the context of autosuggest, we don't need all the items (top 50 would
be plenty).  And we don't need all the data, just the preferred text,
source vocabulary, and source concept ID.

I wonder if you can advise from your perspective on our prospects to get
faster search times, and where you might recommend that we focus our
attention.

Options from here might be:
  (a)  Installing this on our own AWS instance in our availability zone
(network latency)
  (b)  Superficially modifying the source code to return only the first N
results (payload size)
  (c)  Replacing the backend datastore with a different database
(server-side search speed)
  (d)  More deeply modifying the search code in some form ...
  (e)  Other

Thanks!
Pieter
m. 617 645 4524