[bioontology-support] sparql issue

Maxwell Neal mneal at u.washington.edu
Thu May 9 10:47:35 PDT 2013

Hi all,

I've been trying to send queries over the SemPhysKB-Human ontology using BioPortal SPARQL and have run into a snag.  I have been trying to run a test query that should return the two subclasses of semsim:SemSim_component but I get no results. (Please see attached image showing the two subclasses of this term in the BioPortal tree view.) Here is the query:

PREFIX semsim: <http://www.bhi.washington.edu/SemSim#>
PREFIX opb: <http://bhi.washington.edu/OPB#>

SELECT DISTINCT *
FROM <http://bioportal.bioontology.org/ontologies/SEMPHYSKB-HUMAN>
WHERE {
	?x ?p semsim:SemSim_component .
}

When I perform a similar query that should return all the subclasses of semsim:Reference_physical_property, I get the expected results; a set of OPB physical property classes. Here is the query that appears to be working. Is it the same as the one above, except for the object in the WHERE statement.

PREFIX semsim: <http://www.bhi.washington.edu/SemSim#>
PREFIX opb: <http://bhi.washington.edu/OPB#>

SELECT DISTINCT *
FROM <http://bioportal.bioontology.org/ontologies/SEMPHYSKB-HUMAN>
WHERE {
	?x ?p semsim:Reference_physical_property .
}

My deepest apologies if I am making a rookie mistake here with SPARQL, but my spider sense tells me something's afoot.

Many thanks for your time,