[bioontology-support] 403 Forbidden response when accessing Annotator webservice

Pieter Sheth-Voss pieter at provenanalytics.com
Mon May 13 12:46:17 PDT 2013

Hi Bioportal Support --

I'm getting a 403 Forbidden response when querying the Bioportal, saying it
requires a valid API key.  But I think I'm using the correct API key, as
it works for the search service.  The example webclient works, so the
service appears to be working.  What am I likely missing?

Thanks!

*curl* -X POST -d '{ "ontologiesToKeepInResult": "1353,1423","format":
"xml","textToAnnotate": "35 yo male with acne vulgaris and inflammatory
arthritis"}'  http://rest.bioontology.org/obs/annotator?apikey=MYAPIKEY

where MYAPIKEY is the one shown for me on
http://bioportal.bioontology.org/account.

The result I get is:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<errorStatus>
<accessedResource>/obs/annotator</accessedResource>
<accessDate>2013-05-13 12:31:10.891 PDT</accessDate>
<shortMessage>Forbidden</shortMessage>
<longMessage>A valid API key is required to call REST services. Please
visit http://bioportal.bioontology.org/account to get your API key.</
longMessage>
<errorCode>403</errorCode>
</errorStatus>