[bioontology-support] Extracting parent child relationships using the web service

Mark Gerard mark.gerard at clinovo.com
Tue Nov 12 10:49:14 PST 2013

Hi all -

I have been trying to get the hierarchical information as displayed on the
web interface @"http://bioportal.bioontology.org/" when a term is searched
in a given ontology -

This is what I intend to achieve =>
https://trac.clinovo.com/clincapture/attachment/ticket/741/howTo.jpg

Context:

Given the information returned by the web service, we intend to
programmatic-ally build this hierarchy (really, display the fields as shown
in the screen shot above) in another system (open source application =>
clincapture) which is using bio-portal as the end point for medical coding.

What I have done so for:

1. I am able to use the old "http://rest.bioontology.org" (I am yet to get
acquainted with the new web service) to extract the coded term for a given
verbatim term entered by the user in our system

2. I have tried to work with the view extraction service but it seems to me
that it only returns one subclass of the concept (the immediate sub class)
- I am looking for the entire hierarchy

3. I have also tinkered with the RDF term service but it would appear that
the generated xml does not have the entire hierarchy - It would seem that
the returned xml cannot allow me to walk back to the root element (as
depicted on the UX)

I know I am missing something or have probably not looked somewhere, can
anyone give me some leads as to how I can retrieve the information in the
tree view (With the hierarchy)? I will really appreciate the help!

Mark

--
*Mark Gerard*
 Software Developer

[image: Clinovo] <http://www.clinovo.com/>
[image: Facebook] <http://www.facebook.com/clinovo> [image:
Linkedin]<http://www.linkedin.com/company/890144?trk=NUS_CMPY_TWIT>
 [image: Twitter] <http://twitter.com/Clinovo>
  *Confidentiality Notice: Unless expressly stated otherwise, this message
is confidential and may be privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s)
only. Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not
an addressee, please inform the sender immediately.*