[bioontology-support] Please don't change current REST services

Eamonn Maguire eamonnmag at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 04:28:22 PDT 2013

Hi all,

First of all, we use bioportal REST services across numerous tools, including OntoMaton and ISAcreator, ISAconfigurator etc. This move to the SPARQL results really messes things up for whilst providing an extra number of calls to get the same information we get with one call at present. For example:

This call to search on melanoma gives me this.

{
"page": 1,
"pageCount": 45,
"prevPage": null,
"nextPage": 2,
-
"links": {
"nextPage": "http://data.bioontology.org/search?q=melanoma&page=2" (http://data.bioontology.org/search?q=melanoma&page=2),
"prevPage": null

},
-
"collection": [
-
{
"prefLabel": "Melanoma",
"@id": "http://purl.bioontology.org/ontology/MDR/10053571" (http://purl.bioontology.org/ontology/MDR/10053571),
"@type": "http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#Class" (http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#Class),
-
"links": {
"self": "http://data.bioontology.org/ontologies/MEDDRA/classes/http%3A%2F%2Fpurl.bioontology.org%2Fontology%2FMDR%2F10053571" (http://data.bioontology.org/ontologies/MEDDRA/classes/http%3A%2F%2Fpurl.bioontology.org%2Fontology%2FMDR%2F10053571),
"ontology": "http://data.bioontology.org/ontologies/MEDDRA” (http://data.bioontology.org/ontologies/MEDDRA),
….

Now, if I want to find out which ontology this term came from, I have to do another search to this http://data.bioontology.org/ontologies/MEDDRA

I have to perform 2 calls to just get the name of the ontology it came from. It requires 2 calls for each term and places extra burden on both your servers and slows down our applications.

Is there some way you could you make it easier to get this information from the original call please?

Many thanks,

Eamonn

--
Eamonn Maguire