[bioontology-support] SPARQL: How to deal with super classes not in the triple store

Erik Fäßler erik.faessler at uni-jena.de
Mon Sep 9 02:09:39 PDT 2013

Dear BioOntology team,

thank you very much for offering the SPARQL service which serves as a quite nice uniform mechanism to query the available ontologies.

I came across a case where a retrieved RDF triple expresses a subClassOf relation where the super class seems not to be in the triple store (happened with ontology http://bioportal.bioontology.org/ontologies/OGMS and the super class is http://www.geneontology.org/formats/oboInOwl#ObsoleteClass).

I wonder how I should proceed in such a case. I'd like to handle it as similar as to like your team does. So when browsing an ontology that references external classes, how do you handle that? That external class could have further super- or sub-classes after all.

Another issue is the retrieval of preferred label, alternative label and the definition of such an external class. I can't query those using your SPARQL endpoint, can I? How do you get the name to display in your ontology browser?

Thank you and best regards,

Erik