[bioontology-support] UMLS semantic types in NCBO Annotator and SPARQL endpoint

Jael GarcíaCastro leyla.jael.garcia at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 12:09:01 PDT 2013

Hi all,

I tried DESCRIBE <http://purl.bioontology.org/ontology/MDDB/07224> at
http://sparql.bioontology.org. The description includes the UMLS semantic
type as

<http://bioportal.bioontology.org/ontologies/umls/hasSTY>
<http://bioportal.bioontology.org/ontologies/umls/sty/T121>

I noticed that the URL
http://bioportal.bioontology.org/ontologies/umls/sty/T121 does not resolve.
Do you plan these UMLS semantic type URLs to be resolvable?

I also tried the NCBO Annotator
http://bioportal.bioontology.org/annotatorwith the term "serotonin"
and the ontology MeSH. This term is associated to
the UMLS semantic type T016. However, if I retrieve the annotation in the
XML format using the  option "Format Result As", the semantic type
retrieved is T999 "NCBO BioPortal concept". I was expecting T016, is not
the semantic type reported by the annotator the UMLS one?

Thanks,
Jael