[bioontology-support] NPG & Scientific Data: invitation to claim/maintain record in BioSharing

Biosharing Project biosharing.project at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 07:31:27 PDT 2014

Dear database maintainer,

Scientific Data, a data journal from the Nature Publishing Group, maintains a list of data repositories, including  "NCBI Taxonomy", that we recommend to our authors. This list forms part of a broader initiative within NPG to improve public archiving of the datasets accompanying our articles.

Most repositories we recommend comply with the following criteria:

 - Enjoy broad support and recognition within their scientific community.
 - Ensure long-term persistence and preservation of datasets in their published form.
 - Provide expert curation.
 - Implement relevant, community-driven reporting standards.
 - Provide for confidential review of submitted datasets.
 - Provide stable identifiers for submitted datasets.
 - Allow public access to data without unnecessary restrictions.

In an effort to ensure that these recommendations rely on current information we work with the tracking service BioSharing, which registers both databases and community-driven reporting standards and progressively connects them. Your database profile http://www.biosharing.org/bsg-000154 has not been claimed; we encourage you to update it, as it is linked to prominently from our repository list to assist NPG authors in selecting the appropriate venue for their data.

We request that a representative of your repository access and manage the profile by registering (or logging in to an existing profile). In particular, the details of the most appropriate contact person to handle researcher queries should be added to the profile, along with any reporting guidelines, terminologies and formats researchers should follow in depositing their data with you. A formal invitation letter can be downloaded at the following URL:

http://www.nature.com/uploads/ckeditor/attachments/625/biosharing_NPG_letter-database.pdf

For technical help or content-related questions, or if a standard you use is not listed in BioSharing, please contact biosharing-contact-us at lists.sf.net.

For questions and comments on Scientific Data’s data policy, please, contact scientificdata at nature.com.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Yours,

Susanna-Assunta Sansone, Honorary Academic Editor, Scientific Data
Andrew Hufton, Managing Editor, Scientific Data