[bioontology-support] EDAM Ontology Classes

Aaron Baker ab4 at bcm.edu
Mon Dec 1 13:13:53 PST 2014

Hi Bioportal Team,

I had a question regarding the EDAM ontology and perhaps other
ontologies. When I retrieve results using the /classes endpoint, I
noticed there are some endpoints that have a JSON object (instead of the
usual String) as a synonym. For example, making a request at

http://data.bioontology.org/ontologies/EDAM/classes/http%3A%2F%2Fedamontology.org%2Fformat_2331?apikey={apikey}

gives the following object as a synonym

{"uri": "http://filext.com/file-extension/HTML"}

I had previously thought that synonyms were only Strings. Are there
other types of objects that may show up in the synonym area? Can the
prefLabel contain these sorts of objects as well?

Thanks for your help.

Best,
Aaron