[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from marynoele

Jennifer Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Fri Dec 5 12:27:22 PST 2014

Hello,

According to the BioPortal Import plug-in documentation [1], the plug-in is no longer functional.  It was developed for an earlier version of Protege (the 3.x series) and it hasn’t been updated to use the new BioPortal REST API.  The Protege team is working on porting the plug-in to WebProtege.  You can follow their GitHub issue for updates [2].  The documentation also lists the following temporary workaround:

You may open the BioPortal ontology directly in Protege 5.x for editing by performing the following steps:

- Copy the ontology download link from the ontology’s Summary view in BioPortal.  (Please make sure to choose the OWL download format).
- Start Protege 5.x.
- Go to File -> Open from URL, and paste the link into the box.

If you have any other questions about Protege, WebProtege, and/or the BioPortal Import plug-in, you should post them on the Protege User Support mailing list [3], which is monitored by the BioPortal Import plug-in developers.

Jennifer

[1] http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/BioPortal_Import_Plugin <http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/BioPortal_Import_Plugin>
[2] https://github.com/protegeproject/webprotege/issues/152 <https://github.com/protegeproject/webprotege/issues/152>