[bioontology-support] REST API Ontology submission

Ray Fergerson ray.fergerson at stanford.edu
Fri Dec 5 15:53:41 PST 2014

We are still not completely sure what you need or want.
(1) Is your goal to transfer some or all of the ontologies in BioPortal
into your VM in an automated fashion. If you need less than 10 ontologies,
one time, then it is almost certainly faster to just do it manually with
the UI. If you need 400 ontologies, or if you need to update them daily,
then that is another matter. If we provided a script that allowed you to
transfer ontologies that you specify, would that be sufficient?
(2) If your goal is really to do this in Java as part of a bigger
application, perhaps loading ontologies that are not in the public version
of BioPortal then you may really need an API to call. Is this really what
you want?

If we have a choice then we would rather provide a script that you and
others could use than document a very dangerous API.

Ray