[bioontology-support] SNOMED circular parent

Ted Bashor ted at wonderlakesoftware.com
Wed Feb 19 16:04:11 PST 2014

Looks like the version of SNOMED was updated yesterday.  I’ve run into a few funky things with new inferred relationships, but the one that is most serious is a circular parent/subClassOf.  Walking up the parent hierarchy from Soft tissue lesion, you find "Musculoskeletal and connective tissue disorder” has a parent of "Disorder of connective tissue” which has a parent "Musculoskeletal and connective tissue disorder” etc.

Soft tissue lesion : 239953001
  Rheumatism : 29913006
    Arthropathies and related disorders : 201433006
      Musculoskeletal and connective tissue disorder : 312225001
        Disorder of connective tissue : 105969002
          Musculoskeletal and connective tissue disorder : 312225001
            Disorder of connective tissue : 105969002

I haven’t dug into the UMLS source for this release yet, any idea if this could be a bug in bioportal’s indexing.
Thanks, Ted