[bioontology-support] JAVA IOException code 414 URL too long, with get call

Mona Salem monasalem123 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 10:42:50 PST 2014

Hi All
I have used the AnnotateText.java from github repository.  I have changed it
a bit, so to pass parameters generated in another class of my code.
(I am calling the AnnotateText.stringToAnnotate method from my code.  I am
passing the String abstractinfo.)

public class AnnotateText {

    static final String REST_URL = "http://data.bioontology.org";
    static final String API_KEY = "";
    static final ObjectMapper mapper = new ObjectMapper();

    public static void stringToAnnotate(String abstractinfo) throws
Exception {
        String textToAnnotate = URLEncoder.encode(abstractinfo "UTF-8");

        // Get just annotations only
        JsonNode annotations = jsonToNode(get(REST_URL +
"/annotator?ontologies=NCIT&text=" + textToAnnotate));

After reading the get,
        JsonNode annotations = jsonToNode(get(REST_URL +
"/annotator?ontologies=NCIT&text=" + textToAnnotate));

I get the 414 URL too long error.
How long can text be when I read with get; ie what is the max length?  Are
you changing this portion of code to POST instead?

Thanks for any help on this
Mona Nafoosi
G6G Consulting Group
Santa Monica CA