[bioontology-support] new Bio API

Ray Fergerson ray.fergerson at stanford.edu
Wed Feb 26 14:17:33 PST 2014

Bob,

Thanks. This is very helpful. The metrics are available for any particular
ontology with the call:

http://data.bioontology.org/ontologies/SNOMEDCT/metrics

This call is always very fast because the metrics are all precalculated.
If you have a fixed set of ontologies this this is what you should use.

If instead you want to loop over all ontologies and look at their metrics
(this sounds like what you want) then you need to make a single call to
get back all ontology objects and then traverse to the "metrics" link in
each and make that call for each ontology (the URL there is the same form
as the one above but there is no reason to build it yourself since we have
already done so.

http://data.bioontology.org/ontologies

and then traverse to the "metrics" link on each ontology.

It is easiest to look at this in a browser like Chrome and see the results
and then generate the code accordingly.

This should all work fairly quickly. The list of ontologies may take a few
seconds to retrieve but the metrics calls are all sub-second.

We would be happy to hear more success stories about the annotator or
BioPortal in general. If you can point us to a talk or journal article
that we can read that would be great!

Ray