[bioontology-support] Final Notice on NCBO BioPortal Old REST API Phaseout

Ray Fergerson ray.fergerson at stanford.edu
Thu Feb 27 14:52:48 PST 2014

> ------------------
> Most of the fields (like with/include_synonyms) aren't explicitly
> documented here:
> http://data.bioontology.org/documentation
>
> RWF: the fields that are there are documented. There is currently no
> include_synonyms switch. You always get synonyms back (except for the
> exact_match bug, described above).

Where is include_synonyms documented? What does it do? Setting
'include_synonyms=false' doesn't seem to affect the fields returned...
Is it changing what fields gets searched? You could document that...
Actually, it doesn't even affect the number of results returned, so I
can't even guess what it's doing.

RWF: The reason that "include_synonyms" is not documented is that it does
not exist. There is no such parameter in the new system. Search always
looks at synonyms. Synonym matches appear lower in the search results than
preferred name matches but they are there.

If this behavior turns out to be a problem for some users then we may
implement a "do not include synonyms" parameter. For the moment though no
one has asked for one and we have no plans.

Ray