[bioontology-support] NCBO BioPortal connection reset error

Jose Miguel Cruz-Toledo jctoledo at io-informatics.com
Thu Mar 27 16:20:56 PDT 2014

Hi,

I have been making use of the NCBO bioportal REST API using my BioPortal user's (jctoledo) API key (dc3e4006-b84c-43b0-8c68-61833811450f ). I wrote a script that to search for matching class labels using the Search resource index endpoint against a list of a few thousand terms. During the past week I have been noticing that the API seems to be blocking my requests after  about an hour of querying the endpoint. I added to my script a 5 second sleep call so that we hit the API less frequently but the problem seems to still appear i.e.: "Connection reset by peer".

After having read the documentation and from this I have a few questions:

·         Is this an expected behavior from the Bioportal API?

·         Is there a maximum number of calls per second or minute that we should be doing? I

·         Is there a way of making a batch call to the API with the Search Resource Index and several terms at once (e.g. http://data.bioontology.org/documentation#nav_batch)?

Thank you in advance,

José Cruz-Toledo

Knowledge Engineer

IO Informatics, Inc.
Office:     (613) 323-7506
Email:      jctoledo at io-informatics.com<mailto:jctoledo at io-informatics.com>
Web:       www.io-informatics.com<https://webmail04.sherweb2010.com/owa/redir.aspx?C=jEI6e_UfCUOVdH5nNKhNQm5Ttf2BHdEIANfbUlolGbiESiqvtkPfbdJIvk_iY5W2TnRu7u-K9pM.&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.io-informatics.com%2f>