[bioontology-support] Bootstrapping the dev environment from scratch

Ray Fergerson ray.fergerson at stanford.edu
Thu Nov 13 14:59:23 PST 2014

Mark,

Paul has put together some documentation to get you up and going. We had
some laying around but it wasn't really useful for external folks. The new
documentation can be found off of:

https://github.com/ncbo/ontologies_api

We don't make our issue tracker system open but, even if we opened it, it
probably would not help too much. Few items are described in enough detail
for anyone else to actually understand what is needed.

Here are two idea for coming up with something to do:

- Monitor the mailing lists for requests. For example, just this morning
someone asked about a third party plugin for MS word that allows people to
insert a reference to a BioPortal class into a word document. This plugin
is broken because it uses an old version of the API. Revising this to use
the new API would be a straightforward task that would be very useful.
This would be a great first think to work on.

- Play with BioPortal. I am sure that if you clicked around in BioPortal
for an hour you could come up with a half a dozen ideas for things that
would make it better, at least for some users. I suggest only that you
contact us to find out if your ideas are already being worked on. For
example, we have a revision of the ontology browse page underway already
and this should be out in a month or so.

Ray