[bioontology-support] Question concerning REST API mapping response format

Erik Fäßler erik.faessler at uni-jena.de
Mon Nov 24 05:48:02 PST 2014

Dear Bioontology-Team,

I use the BioPortal 4.x REST API to download ontology mappings. It seems that in the JSON response of some ontologies, the “process” key has as value an array of Strings, e.g. [“LOOM”] whereas others have an object as value, e.g.

"process" : { "comment" : null,
            "creator" : "http://data.bioontology.org/users/twicker",
            "date" : "2013-04-02T18:32:06+00:00",
            "id" : "http://purl.bioontology.org/mapping/cefd7f9e-e5bb-4ebe-bdbb-4fdb2c5c19f4",
            "name" : null,
            "relation" : null,
            "source" : "Application",
            "source_contact_info" : "support at bioontology.org",
            "source_name" : "BioPortal UI"
          }

Looking at the object, I guess the difference is automatic mapping vs. manually entered mapping. The different value types for the “process” key pose an issue for my code since I deserialise the JSON string into an object using Gson or Jackson.

Thus, my question is whether this format will be unified soon or if it will stay in the heterogeneous way and I just have to implement the two cases. Another question would if there are more types of values planned for the future.

Thank you and best regards,

Erik