[bioontology-support] missing search results in NCI Thesaurus

Lee M Surprenant lmsurpre at us.ibm.com
Tue Oct 7 07:51:25 PDT 2014

On the NCI Thesaurus, when the user searches for 'Age', the results do not
include some of the matches I was expecting:
http://data.bioontology.org/search?q=age&ontologies=NCIT

Some expected results:
Age

Age at First Live Birth

Age at Menarche

Age at Menopause

Age at Time of Vaccination

Age Started

Age-Months

Age-Years

Conception Age

Corrected Age

Postmenstrual Age

Subject Age

Search results contained 17 hits, but only a few from that list.  In
particular, the search results missed both "Age" and "Age-Years".
What is strange to me is that 'Age-Months' was on the list.  Can someone
help me better understand the search behavior of bioportal to explain this?
Maybe its failing because the search string is on a stoplist or its just
too short/too common?

thanks,

Lee Surprenant