[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from Rob Taylor

Jennifer Leigh Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Fri Dec 4 14:45:30 PST 2015

Hello Rob,

On Dec 4, 2015, at 10:50 AM, support at bioontology.org<mailto:support at bioontology.org> wrote:

Name: Rob Taylor

Email: rob.taylor at vanderbilt.edu<mailto:rob.taylor at vanderbilt.edu>

Location: http://bioportal.bioontology.org/ontologies/ICD10CM?p=classes&conceptid=http%3A%2F%2Fpurl.bioontology.org%2Fontology%2FICD10CM%2FJ98

Feedback:

Is the list of ICD-10CM codes complete in the BioPortal service database? We utilize the BioPortal service in our application REDCap, and users are complaining that lots of valid ICD-10 codes cannot be found when searching the BioPortal service, such as the two ICD-10CM codes below. Could you please tell me if the BioPortal only provides an abridged listing of these codes or if perhaps there is a bug that is preventing it from finding such items. THANKS!

J96.92 - Respiratory failure, unspecified with hypercapnia
J98.11 – Atelectasis

This looks to be a problem with our search index.  Making a call to the REST API to retrieve the classes by their IDs succeeds, e.g. (Atelectasis):

http://data.bioontology.org/ontologies/ICD10CM/classes/http%3A%2F%2Fpurl.bioontology.org%2Fontology%2FICD10CM%2FJ98.11<http://data.bioontology.org/ontologies/ICD10CM/classes/http://purl.bioontology.org/ontology/ICD10CM/J98.11>

… but using the search endpoint on the same class returns an empty collection:

http://data.bioontology.org/search?q=Atelectasis&ontologies=ICD10CM

Another user reported a similar problem yesterday.  Our search expert is back in the office on Monday and will have a look at reindexing.

Apologies for the trouble.

Best,