[bioontology-support] Creating a slice on local Appliance

Emonet vincent.emonet at lirmm.fr
Thu Jul 2 05:15:24 PDT 2015

Hi,

We are trying to create a slice in our local appliance.
But the only documentation we found comes from the Rails app
"bioportal_config.rb":

    # Pairing a name with an array of ontology virtual ids will allow
    you to filter ontologies based on a subdomain.
    # If your main UI is hosted at example.org and you add
    custom.example.org pointing to the same Rails installation
    # you could filter the ontologies visible at custom.example.org by
    adding this to the hash: "custom" => { :name => "Custom Slice",
    :ontologies => [1032, 1054, 1099] }
    # Any number of slices can be added. Groups are added automatically
    using the group acronym as the subdomain.

It seems pretty old since you were still using virtual ids.

The alias created : slice.bioportal.example.org work and is redirecting
on bioportal.example.org
We tried to enable slices and indicate which slices we want using
acronym (e.g.: :ontologies => ["ACRONYM1", "ACRONYM2"] ) but it is still
redirecting on example.org (event after trying bprestart or bpclearcache)

We can see that slices data are available at
http://data.bioontology.org/slices
So maybe there is a script to import slices datas from the
"bioportal_config.rb" file to the API (and 4store) but we didn't find
any script related to slices in ncbo_cron. And the only thing related to
slices we could find in ontologies_api is to GET the slice list.

So would it be possible to have more informations on the process to
create new slices please?
And how do you create a slice based on a group? (the documentation is
not really detailed on it)

Thanks a lot,

Vincent Emonet

SIFR project, SMILE team, University of Montpellier