[bioontology-support] Access rate to Bioportal APIs

Marco Brandizi brandizi at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Jul 6 10:56:32 PDT 2015

Dear Sirs,

I am sending again the message below, since I am not sure you have
received it the first time.

Thank you in advance for your help,
Marco.

On 05/06/2015 21:24, Marco Brandizi wrote:
> Dear Sirs,
>
> I'm considering to use the Bioportal APIs to perform periodic ontology
> annotations of large volume of data. More precisely, I need to
> annotate sample properties in our Biosamples database
> (http://www.ebi.ac.uk/biosamples/), to associate text labels like
> 'homo sapiens' to terms like NCBITax:9096. I have something like 10
> million properties, which I'd like to annotate this way about once a
> month (to generate our RDF export,
> http://www.ebi.ac.uk/rdf/documentation/biosamples). Every time I do
> this, I plan to have a few thousand requests x minute to an external
> service like the Bioportal annotator (via API), for a time of about
> 24hrs every month (we are currently using ZOOMA for the same purpose,
> http://www.ebi.ac.uk/fgpt/zooma/, and I'm basing the hereby figures on
> that). My code is already able to measure the server responsiveness
> and throttle down its request load when needed.
>
> My question is if it would be acceptable for Bioportal that I did
> that, both in terms of your policies (fair usage?) and in technical
> terms (will your server block me? Will it consider me a DoS attacker?)
>
> Thank you in advance for your help.
>
> Kind Regards,

Marco Brandizi, PhD <brandizi at ebi.ac.uk>, http://www.marcobrandizi.info

Functional Genomics Group - Sr Software Engineer
http://www.ebi.ac.uk/microarray

European Molecular Biology Laboratory
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, Hinxton, Cambridge CB10 1SD, United Kingdom

Office V2-26, Phone: +44 (0)1223 492 613, Fax: +44 (0)1223 492 620