[bioontology-support] concept definitions in API?

Ben Leinfelder leinfelder at nceas.ucsb.edu
Mon Mar 23 12:57:35 PDT 2015

Hi folks,
I'm looking into some unexpected results when querying classes with the BioPortal API.

Take this class in the D1_CARBON_FLUX ontology:
	https://purl.org/dataone/ontologies/observation/D1_carbon_flux_1.owl#OWLClass_1a9b59a0_d424_41c6_afe0_0a1f46378d5f

This query  for "plankton" returns the concept...
	https://data.bioontology.org/search?ontologies=D1-CARBON-FLUX&suggest=true&include=prefLabel,definition&q=plankton&apikey=XXXX

…but does not include the "definition" field even when explicitly requested in the query string. I only get these:
 	"prefLabel": "Plankton_Carbon_Pool",
 	"@id": "https://purl.org/dataone/ontologies/observation/D1_carbon_flux_1.owl#OWLClass_1a9b59a0_d424_41c6_afe0_0a1f46378d5f",
 	"@type": "http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#Class",

But I can see the definition in the BioPortal web interface and, of course, in the OWL file directly.
	http://bioportal.bioontology.org/ontologies/D1-CARBON-FLUX/?p=classes&conceptid=https%3A%2F%2Fpurl.org%2Fdataone%2Fontologies%2Fobservation%2FD1_carbon_flux_1.owl%23OWLClass_1a9b59a0_d424_41c6_afe0_0a1f46378d5f&jump_to_nav=true

What's odd, is that I can retrieve definition for some other classes (e.g., "carbon_flux"):
	https://data.bioontology.org/search?ontologies=D1-CARBON-FLUX&suggest=true&include=prefLabel,definition&q=carbon_pool&apikey=XXXX

Am I doing something wrong with the API?

Thank you!
-ben