[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from Michael Kuhlmann

Ray Fergerson rayferg at stanford.edu
Wed Oct 14 13:44:35 PDT 2015

Michael,

A very good question. I’m surprised that it hasn’t come up before.

In general, our policy is to only provide browse and programmatic access to the latest version of an ontology. Older versions can typically be downloaded from our site by interested users. If someone really wants to browse multiple versions of an ontology in BioPortal they can install our BioPortal virtual machine on their own site and load the different versions as different ontologies.

OK, having said all of that, how to explain our handling of ICD? In spite of the “general policy” above, we essentially defer to the UMLS team to decide which ontology versions are important enough to merit a designation as a separate vocabulary. Basically UMLS declares that ICD9 and ICD10 are different vocabularies (rather than different versions of the same vocabulary) and treats them accordingly. We follow their lead, primarily because we think that most of our users would expect this.

Ray