[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from Maxwell Neal

Jennifer Leigh Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Thu Sep 17 17:20:09 PDT 2015

Hello Maxwell,

On Sep 17, 2015, at 8:52 AM, support at bioontology.org<mailto:support at bioontology.org> wrote:

I was attempting to use the BioPortal REST services today to retrieve terms from the Protein Ontology that contain the string "troponin," but the response indicated there were no matching terms. Previously (several months ago) I was been able to retrieve some matching terms, including "troponin C, slow skeletal and cardiac muscles." Also, when I went to the PR page on BioPortal it showed that all the Metrics for the ontology (Number of classes, etc.) were zero.

Our system uses the OWL API [1] to parse ontologies and the version of the API we currently use in production isn’t able to parse the Protein Ontology.  We’re working on upgrading to a newer version of the OWL API, which fixes this issue.  We expect the work to complete by the middle of next week, at which time you should be able to successfully retrieve your desired terms via BioPortal REST.

Best,
Jennifer

[1] http://owlapi.sourceforge.net/