[bioontology-support] Formal request from us to share your NCBO Virtual Appliance

Ray Fergerson rayferg at stanford.edu
Wed Sep 23 15:50:27 PDT 2015

Kamalanathan,

The BioPortal software itself is made available with a very generous open source license (BSD 2-clause). Essentially you can do whatever you want with the software for academic, research, and commercial usage. The content (the ontologies themselves) may have more restrictive licenses for reuse. In particular, some of the common  UMLS ontologies (SNOMEDCT, CPT, MEDDRA, etc) have restrictive licenses. You need to contact the ontology owners themselves to know what their restrictions are for use by various groups (government, industry, etc). Any license negotiations you have must be directly between yourselves and the ontology owner(s).

I’ll respond to your VM request privately.

Ray