[bioontology-support] Fwd: Two questions about using data.bioontology.org API

Graham Freeman graham.freeman at stanford.edu
Mon Apr 4 14:43:24 PDT 2016

(responding on-list only; not cc:ing Dr. Salari)

1.  If we don't already, it would make good security sense to have role-based API keys as well as individual-based API keys.   That would allow us to set sensible API usage quotas, track accordingly, and generally fit into a relevant security model.  It would also allow for staff/stakeholder changes at Dr. Salari's app and other such projects.

2.  There are many reasons why we should add HTTPS support to (www.)bioontology.org, including:

* Stakeholder confidence,
* data integrity (reducing chances of data modified in transit - whether "benign" such as café or in-flight advertising, or malicious)
* Google search ranking (Google uses HTTPS as a positive signal for improved search ranking)
* Functionality as per Dr. Salari's example

thanks,

--
Graham Freeman
Systems/Network/Cloud Administrator