[bioontology-support] SPARQL Query problem on BioPortal

Alejandro Mañas Garcia almaaga1 at upv.es
Wed Apr 6 10:50:40 PDT 2016

Dear BioPortal support,

My name is Alejandro Mañas, PhD student from the Politechnical University
of Valencia (Spain). I'm working on semantic web technologies for
healthcare information systems. Specifically, I'm focused on the SNOMED-CT
ontology, and I aim to query the connectivity between two given resources
by an arbitrary length path (i.e. querying the descendants of a given
concept from SNOMED-CT). Next, the query I'm trying to perform:

"*PREFIX rdfs: <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#
<http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#>>*
*PREFIX snomed-term: <http://purl.bioontology.org/ontology/SNOMEDCT/
<http://purl.bioontology.org/ontology/SNOMEDCT/>>*
*PREFIX skos: <http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core#
<http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core#>>*
*SELECT DISTINCT ?findingName*
*FROM <http://bioportal.bioontology.org/ontologies/SNOMEDCT
<http://bioportal.bioontology.org/ontologies/SNOMEDCT>>*
*WHERE*
*{*
* ?findings rdfs:subClassOf+ snomed-term:404684003 ;*
*  skos:prefLabel ?findingName .*
*}*"

However, when I execute that query, I have an error message as a response:

"*Internal error, please contact administrator. Error with SPARQL query:
400 Parser error*

*parser error: syntax error, unexpected '+' on line 8*"

According to the response, I can not use unitary operators (+ or *) on this
SPARQL endpoint (http://sparql.bioontology.org/). Is it correct? There is
an alternative approach to successfully perform such kind of queries on the
BioPortal SPARQL endpoint? Help me please! Any suggestion will be welcome.

Thanks in advance for your support. I'm looking forward your answers.

Best regards,
Alejandro.