[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from fennieliang

Jennifer Leigh Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Wed Apr 13 13:39:23 PDT 2016

Hello Fennie,

On Apr 13, 2016, at 2:16 AM, support at bioontology.org<mailto:support at bioontology.org> wrote:

Location: http://bioportal.bioontology.org/ontologies/RCTV2

Feedback:

When I set this ontology as licensed, I won't see it without login. But if I set it as public, this option doesn't allow me to put the following information somewhere as a note.

"This ontology is licensed under the terms of the Open Government
Licence (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence/version/3)"

Apologies that this portion of our system is a bit confusing.  We have two issues in our tracker related to what you’ve written above:

1).  NCBO-1712 - We are planning to remove the “Licensed” viewing restriction as an option when submitting new ontologies in BioPortal.  Originally, we intended to have some kind of infrastructure in place to collect licenses from BioPortal users if they wanted to view ontologies with the “Licensed” restriction attribute.  However, this was never implemented.  Going forward, we plan to only have viewing restriction attributes of “Public” or “Private”.  Public ontologies are visible to all, whereas private ontologies require a BioPortal login and proper access rights to view.

2).  NCBO-1726 - Irregardless of whether an ontology is public or private, ontology administrators should be able to enter license information about the ontology that will display on the ontology summary page.  We don’t have the necessary UI support for entering/saving this information yet.

As a workaround until these issues are resolved, I’ve modified your ontology internally in our system to include the license information you noted above:

[cid:BB1D888F-8E05-4A2A-8058-8D4520CBA122 at stanford.edu]