[bioontology-support] Visualization widget over https

Jennifer Leigh Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Wed Apr 20 17:12:58 PDT 2016

Hello Stuart,

We use a 3rd party application called BioMixer to display the visualizations [1].  I’ve looked at their source code and they load some JavaScript libraries using the HTTP protocol, e.g. [2].

If you access our visualization widget using HTTPS protocol, the browser will block loading of the page because it detects that a subresource is using the insecure HTTP protocol.  Most browsers block loading of this type of “mixed content”, which is why you see a blank page.  Enabling the developer tools in a browser reveals the full text of the error:

16:58:44.847 Blocked loading mixed active content "http://biomixer.bioontology.org/?mode=embed&embed_mode=paths_to_root&ontology_acronym=NCBITAXON&full_concept_id=http%3A%2F%2Fpurl.bioontology.org%2Fontology%2FNCBITAXON%2F5324&embed_mode=concept_neighbourhood"1 jquery.min.js:5:25689

I need to investigate if the BioMixer library is still being maintained, and get back to you on whether or not we can expect this to be fixed.

Jennifer

[1] https://github.com/thechiselgroup/biomixer
[2] https://github.com/thechiselgroup/biomixer/blob/3f4f76927a5dca816e9b365d7a33bbe3aa99c542/biomixer/war/index.html#L15