[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from Luís Filipe Leal Campos

Jennifer Leigh Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Mon Dec 5 08:34:48 PST 2016

Hi Luis,

On Dec 5, 2016, at 7:29 AM, support at bioontology.org<mailto:support at bioontology.org> wrote:

Name: Luís Filipe Leal Campos

Email: luis.filipe.lcampos at gmail.com<mailto:luis.filipe.lcampos at gmail.com>

Location: http://bioportal.bioontology.org/annotator

Feedback:

Hi!

One question that today visited my mind. Why isn't the Bio Annotator software (and the other tools you kindly provide) open source?

All of BioPortal is indeed open source.  You can find the code in the NCBO organization’s GitHub repository (https://github.com/ncbo).  In particular, the Annotator source code is here:

https://github.com/ncbo/ncbo_annotator

I mean, imagine that you have a really large project in which you will need to annotate a LOT of documents. It would be easier if you had an instance of the Annotator running on a local server instead of having to use the webservice.

It's faster. It would also avoid an overload of requests to the webservice, I guess. You could tweak the software to meet your project requirements. But, maybe more important, if the BioPortal endpoint was down, you could still annotate your documents.

If you want to run BioPortal locally, we offer it as a Virtual Appliance (VMWare Virtual Appliance OVF or Amazon Web Service AMI).  VA installation is documented on our wiki:

https://www.bioontology.org/wiki/index.php/Category:NCBO_Virtual_Appliance