[bioontology-support] Advice needed for ontology social quality assessment research

Melinda Hardy McDaniel mmcdaniel16 at student.gsu.edu
Sat Feb 13 15:11:22 PST 2016

I am working on research regarding ontology quality evaluation from the viewpoint of its domain community. I am trying to assess the relative value of the ontologies in a community to the community’s members using metrics I have developed. I am testing my metrics using the BioPortal library because of its active community.

The results I obtained look very promising in that the highest ranked ontologies do seem to be the ones that are most used, but I am not sure whether the lowest ranked ontologies using my system are actually less well regarded.

Can you please take a look at the table I have below, which shows a subset of the results? If you are familiar with any of the ontologies listed can you please tell me whether these numbers appear correct? ( I also have rankings by keyword if that would be more easy to understand.)

Any other suggestions you can make or any other questions you may have would be extremely helpful to me.
Thanks very much in advance!
Melinda
10 Highest Ranked BioPortal ontologies
Abbrev.

Name

 GO

Gene Ontology

 HP

Human Phenotype Ontology

 MIRO

Mosquito Insecticide Resistance Ontology

 MS

Mass Spectrometry Ontology

 SBO

Systems Biology Ontology