[bioontology-support] Infos about the BioPortal ontologies

Emiddio e.esposito43 at studenti.unisa.it
Thu Mar 3 09:54:25 PST 2016

Hello,
my name is Emiddio Esposito, i'm a graduate student at University of Salerno, in the south of Italy. I am currently working on a project for a Semantic Web course where i'm trying to is some of the ontologies hosted on BioPortal to retrieve some information, but i'm facing some issues.

What i'm trying to achieve is to use a SPARQL query to get references to a few ontologies, the ones describing international classifications like ICF and ICD, and build on top of them an app to navigate such ontologies and search in them.

I've succefully retrieved reference using a regex filter, yet it gives me more different IDs for what it seems to be the same ontology.

For example if i try to run this SPARQL query:

PREFIX omv: <http://omv.ontoware.org/2005/05/ontology#>
         SELECT ?ont ?name ?acr
         WHERE { ?ont a omv:Ontology ;
                      omv:acronym ?acr ;
                      omv:name ?name .
                 FILTER (regex(?acr,"ICF"))
               }

it should show me just the reference to the ICF ontology, http://bioportal.bioontology.org/ontologies/ICF, yet the results are this:

<http://bioportal.bioontology.org/ontologies/47404>	"International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health (ICF)"	"ICF"
<http://bioportal.bioontology.org/ontologies/45578>	"International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health (ICF)"	"ICF"
<http://bioportal.bioontology.org/ontologies/40865>	"International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health (ICF)"	"ICF"

Why there are three different IDs for the same ontology? can i retrieve somehow a unique identifier?

Thanks for the patience, hope to hear you soon.

Regards,
Emiddio Esposito.