[bioontology-support] get tree of a given class via REST interface

Lorenz B. buehmann at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Wed Mar 9 02:15:14 PST 2016

Hello,

I'm wondering whether it's possible to get children of a given class via
the REST interface. I know that there is one request

/ontologies/:ontology/classes/:cls/tree

but it looks like it always returns the root classes only, and not the
subclasses of the given class. see for example both links below:

"http://data.bioontology.org/ontologies/SNOMEDCT/classes/http%3A%2F%2Fpurl.bioontology.org%2Fontology%2FSNOMEDCT%2F260787004/tree"
<http://data.bioontology.org/ontologies/SNOMEDCT/classes/http%3A%2F%2Fpurl.bioontology.org%2Fontology%2FSNOMEDCT%2F260787004/tree>

http://data.bioontology.org/ontologies/SNOMEDCT/classes/http%3A%2F%2Fpurl.bioontology.org%2Fontology%2FSNOMEDCT%2F404684003/tree

For me this looks like a bug because otherwise there would be no need to
have this for each class, but only for the ontology itself. Moreover, the
"children" property is always an empty array here.

Indeed I could use as REST request

/ontologies/:ontology/classes/:cls/children

but this does not return information like "hasChildren" which is quite
useful when building the class tree, like it's done in the public
BioPortal UI.

Kind regards,
Lorenz

--