[bioontology-support] MedDRA API

Jennifer Leigh Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Thu Mar 31 12:15:30 PDT 2016

Hi Paul,

We import UMLS terminologies into BioPortal, which is how MedDRA gets into our system: http://bioportal.bioontology.org/ontologies/MEDDRA.

I don’t know how the version distributed with the UMLS terminologies might differ from what’s offered at meddra.org<http://meddra.org>.  Normally the UMLS publishes release notes that detail terminology versions.  For their 2015AB release, it looks like they included MedDRA 18.0:

https://www.nlm.nih.gov/research/umls/knowledge_sources/metathesaurus/release/updated_sources.html

I noticed that BioPortal is behind by one release of the UMLS (we’re currently on 2015AA).  I’ve entered an issue in our tracker to import the latest 2015AB (issue # NCBO-1711).

You can use BioPortal’s REST API (http://data.bioontology.org/documentation) to access all of the MedDRA data in our system.

Hope that helps.

Best,
Jennifer