[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from John Robinson

Jennifer Leigh Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Fri Nov 18 17:20:41 PST 2016

Hi John,

I took a look at ICW and the initial submission failed to parse.  The reason for this is that a pull URL was specified that pointed to WebProtege.  Pull URLs must point to the exact location where the ontology source file (OWL file) is located.  Unfortunately, WebProtege doesn’t expose such a URL.  It does give users the ability to download ontology files by clicking on the download links in the Revisions pane on the Project Dashboard tab.  However, as I mentioned, it doesn’t expose a URL where the ontology source file resides.

I took the liberty of downloading the latest version of your ontology from WebProtege and I created a new submission in BioPortal, using the same metadata as your initial one.  Instead of specifying a pull URL, I used the “Upload Local File” option to upload your latest version.  This time it successfully parsed and your ontology is now fully available in BioPortal:

Summary page: http://bioportal.bioontology.org/ontologies/ICW

Classes: http://bioportal.bioontology.org/ontologies/ICW?p=classes