[bioontology-support] Downloading ontology dumps

John Graybeal jgraybeal at stanford.edu
Fri Nov 18 18:34:03 PST 2016

Ilya,

I've re-read the support list thread on your original question -- was it answered?

If not, I wondered if the ontology transfer script at https://github.com/ncbo/ncbo_rest_sample_code/blob/master/ruby/bioportal_ontologies_import.rb
might be a partial solution to your needs?

John

On Oct 25, 2016, at 4:32 AM, Ilya Zaihrayeu <ilya.zaihrayeu at babylonhealth.com<mailto:ilya.zaihrayeu at babylonhealth.com>> wrote:

Hi all,

I am looking for a way to download ontology dumps from the bioontology portal and was wondering what the best way for it might be.

as I understood, there was an ontology download service but it was shut down a while ago for some reason. Also, as I understood, ontologies in UMLS format are not available for download due licensing reasons (https://mailman.stanford.edu/pipermail/bioontology-support/2016-August/008925.html). there is an RDF Download Service, but it is limited: "the RDF Download Service to download the whole ontology in RDF. Note that the second service will provide only some basic information about each term, not all the relations that are defined in the ontology." (https://www.bioontology.org/wiki/index.php?title=RDF_in_BioPortal&redirect=no)

could you please advise what the best way for getting ontology dumps from the Bioontology portal would be?

many thanks
Ilya

John Graybeal
Technical Program Manager