[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from Christine Girges

Jennifer Leigh Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Mon Nov 21 16:00:42 PST 2016

Hello Christine,

The reason for the 404 (“something has gone wrong") error is that the PURL you list below resolves to what is supposed to be the page that displays the classes for the Mental State Assessment ontology [1].  The classes page is absent because the ontology source file that was submitted to BioPortal has invalid syntax and is unable to be parsed.  This is indicated by the “Error Rdf” status listed on the ontology summary page (http://bioportal.bioontology.org/ontologies/ONL-MSA).

Normally if someone submits an ontology with syntax errors, we try our best to fix them and re-parse the ontology to make it available to end-users.  However, this particular ontology imports several other ontologies from a web URL that we don’t host here at Stanford, and the error is in one of the imports.

I’m listing the syntax error and suggested fix below, and I’ve cc’ed the ontology contact person in the event that Bernard is willing to submit a corrected version.

The error is on line 800 of the ontoneurolog-extension-of-dolce.owl ontology file (hosted at http://neurolog.unice.fr/ontoneurolog/v3.0/ontoneurolog-extension-of-dolce.owl).  The rdfs:comment is declared as datatype XMLLiteral, but the content of the comment doesn’t contain the required opening and closing XML tags that are expected for this particular datatype:

<rdfs:comment rdf:datatype="&rdf;XMLLiteral">[DEF] ACTION A is generated, or is produced, by ACTION B when A is done by doing B: “doing A by doing B”.
[CIT] (Pacherie, 2008, p. 198): “At least three cases [of productions] must be distinguished. The first is indeed causal generation. Doing A by doing B counts as an instance of causal generation when the production of B causes the production of A. For instance, turning the light by flipping a switch or breaking the glass by dropping it on a hard surface count as instances of causal generation. The second case is conventional generation, where doing B (in circumstances C) counts as doing A in virtue of a rule or convention that stipulates that is so counts. Thus, signalling a left turn by extending one’s left arm or voting in favour of the motion by raising one’s hand are instances of conventional generation. The third case is circumstantial generation, where doing B counts as doing A only if certain circumstances obtain. For instance, one breaks the world record for in the 100 m for men by running it in 9,77 s only in circumstances where no one has yet run this distance in 9,77 a or less.”</rdfs:comment>

Possible fixes are a) remove the XMLLiteral datatype declaration, e.g.:

<rdfs:comment>[DEF] ACTION A is generated…</rdfs:comment>

… or b) add the desired start and end tags to the comment, e.g.:

<rdfs:comment rdf:datatype="&rdf;XMLLiteral”><p>[DEF] ACTION A is generated…</p></rdfs:comment>

[1] http://bioportal.bioontology.org/ontologies/ONL-MSA?p=classes&conceptid=root

Screen shot of the syntax error as seen in the Protege ontology editing environment:

[cid:0B764D07-8F97-47B4-9E07-826408EF1854 at stanford.edu]