[bioontology-support] Downloading ontology dumps

Ilya Zaihrayeu ilya.zaihrayeu at babylonhealth.com
Tue Oct 25 04:32:57 PDT 2016

Hi all,

I am looking for a way to download ontology dumps from the bioontology portal and was wondering what the best way for it might be.

as I understood, there was an ontology download service but it was shut down a while ago for some reason. Also, as I understood, ontologies in UMLS format are not available for download due licensing reasons (https://mailman.stanford.edu/pipermail/bioontology-support/2016-August/008925.html). there is an RDF Download Service, but it is limited: "the RDF Download Service to download the whole ontology in RDF. Note that the second service will provide only some basic information about each term, not all the relations that are defined in the ontology." (https://www.bioontology.org/wiki/index.php?title=RDF_in_BioPortal&redirect=no)

could you please advise what the best way for getting ontology dumps from the Bioontology portal would be?

many thanks
Ilya