[bioontology-support] HIV ontology parsing issue [WAS: Ontology Upload]

Jennifer Leigh Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Tue Apr 4 14:15:23 PDT 2017

Hello Sabrina,

I spent some time looking at the problem you reported with the HIV ontology.  I’ve entered an issue in our tracker so that you can follow our progress if desired [1].

I’ve identified two issues:

1).  The ontology source file uses an incorrect date format that causes a parsing exception.  The OBO format guide states that dates in headers must use the format of dd:MM:yyyy HH:mm.  If you change line 2 of the ontology source file from this:

date: December 27, 2016

… to this:

date: 27:12:2016 00:00

… that particular parsing error is solved.

2).  Unfortunately, the second issue is more complicated.  In short, BioPortal and Protege both use the OWL API internally for ontology parsing.  BioPortal is using version 4.2.5 of the OWL API, which fails to parse the HIV ontology with exceptions about the “part_of” tags.  Protege is using version 4.2.8 of the OWL API, which parses the ontology without issue.  This is why you’re able to open your ontology in Protege successfully.  It’s unclear what the difference is between OWL API versions that causes the parsing failure.  I’ll need to contact the authors of the API to see if they can shed any light.

[1] https://github.com/ncbo/bioportal-project/issues/17